InThis position requires an Honours Degree in Life Sciences, Natural Sciences, Ecology, Biology, Botany or equivalent qualification at NQF 8. There is no work experience required for this position. A postgraduate qualification in Life Sciences, Natural Sciences, Ecology, Biology, Botany or equivalent qualification at NQF level 9 will be an added advantage.
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: experience in participatory methodologies and community engagement; knowledge of priority medicinal plants and the cultural practises required to respect indigenous knowledge holders; workshop facilitation and stakeholder engagement skills; project and time management knowledge and skills; engaging and mentoring students and interns; basic Geographical Information System (GIS) skills. must be responsible, self-motivated, proactive and able to work with minimal supervision; ability to work well independently, as well as effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders, and as part of a team; well-developed relationship-building skills; good time management skills with the ability to deliver on deadlines; effective verbal and written communication capabilities are essential; computer literacy will be an advantage; and the possession of a valid driver’s licence with at least one-year practical driving experience and a willingness to travel is essential.
- Interview traditional healers to ascertain availability of priority medicinal plants, and feed data into the red list assessment process.
- Engage traditional authorities and traditional healers on knowledge sharing of the location of sacred sites and key medicinal plant resource zones.
- Document spatially the location of scared sites and key medicinal plant resource zones using appropriate spatial software.
- Co-ordinate a team of national experts on medicinal plants.
- Distribute cultivated medicinal plant materials to traditional healers to help alleviate pressure on wild populations of threatened medicinal species.
Please send your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org