KwaZulu Natal Provincial Education Alliance (KZNPEA)
3 February 2014
The KwaZulu Natal progressive education alliance launches its programme on 07 February 2014 at Curries fountain. The launch will be addressed by Blade Nzimande and Angie Motshega on their capacity as both Ministers of Higher and Basic Education respectively as well as Buti Manamela the National Secretary of the Young Communist league but on his capacity as the youngest Member of Parliament. We also hope that Malusi Gigaba the Minister of Enterprises will also grace the function and so will be the KwaZulu Natal Premier Senzo Mchunu, MEC of Education Ms Peggy Nkonyeni as well as other MEC`s from the province.
In this launch the platform will be unveiling its programme for the year which amongst other things will include dealing with instability in most of the public schools, creating a conducive environment for learning and teaching as well as taking practical steps in ensuring that the contact time is not only protected but also that unnecessary conflict between the department and workers, between students and the department, students and teachers as well as the community and teachers. Programmes for career guidance for learners from grade 9 to grade 12 and ongoing guidance on subject combination and streamlining will be unveiled.
The programme for extra tuition and ongoing support to learners, parents and teachers will also form part of the programme. The programme shall also talk to the relations we will form with both public and private higher education institutions to create measures to absorb as many successful grade 12 learners and create a smooth transition from basic education to higher education.
The launch will also include pledges by all formations of the education alliance platform binding themselves to some non-negotiables of the programme which will be unveiled on the day.
The Friday programme will also unveil a programme whereby the education alliance platform will work with different government departments, business and different industries to absorb unemployed graduates (for an example unemployed graduate nurses are more than 10 000 in KwaZulu Natal alone).
The following people will attend our rally:
- Representative council of learners (RCL) from across the province.
- Shop stewards from the four above mentioned public sector unions (SAMWU, POPCRU, NEHAWU and SADTU)
- COSAS membership
- SASCO and the general higher education student population.
- All unabsorbed 2013 and years before grade 12 successful learners.
- All school governing bodies and the general parent population.
- Leaders of the civic organisation (SANCO) and its general membership.
- Community policing forum and street committees.
- Unemployed graduates.
This launch shall also be used to address immediate pressures facing the communities of KwaZulu Natal.
For an example:
- We will be calling for and ensuring that all the 2013 grade 12 unsuccessful learners are allowed to go back to their original former schools and repeat.
- Different principals of universities will be in attendance and will declare spaces and courses still available.
- The education platform will use the launch to ensure that more spaces are created to accommodate as many learners as possible.
- The rectors from further education and training colleges will also be there to declare spaces and courses available as well as announce dates for intake for the second semester.
- Private higher education colleges will also be in attendance to also declare spaces and courses available and the platform is engaging this section on the reduction of their tuition fees.
- Business sector is also going to be part of the launch with a view to providing information and careers, job opportunities and bursaries available.
- Different government departments will also be present to declare job opportunities, internships, learnerships and bursaries available.
- ETDP SETA will be available to declare opportunities for bursaries, learnerships and internships.
- We also hope that the Minister for enterprises, Malusi Gigaba will declare and motivate the youth and unemployed graduates to take advantage of the opportunities available in his department.
- The NSFAS CEO is also expected to grace the function so as to explain on NSFAS related issues and the space to be covered by the newly declared R1 billion.
- IEC, home affairs, will also be there to assist those who are not yet registered for a number of reasons and so will be SAPS to assist with those who will need affidavits.
Roadmap towards the launch
The education alliance platform will from Tuesday to Friday morning do the following:
- Visit most of the schools who are unstable as a result of a number of things including bullying, violence, and conflict between community. These are among others Umkhumbane Secondary School (Chesterville), Mnyameni high School (KwaNyuswa), Sizimele Secondary School (Danhauser) and many others. The reasons for visit are to investigate reasons for instability.
- Visit some of the higher education institutions who are faced with instability. For an example DUT, Coastal College (both in Durban) Majuba FET College (in Newcastle) as well as Mthashana FET College (Vryheid)
- Adopt and create programmes for schools that are not performing as well as they should in both primary and secondary schools.
- Mobilising the entire KwaZulu Natal community to register for voting in the national general elections. This mobilization will include blitz and motorcades in strategic areas of our province. These will be led by amongst others all those that will be guest speakers during our launch.
- Popularizing and encouraging students that will be writing supplementary exams to use the centres that SADTU has created for them as part of extra tuition. The list of those centres is attached.
Issued by Education Allaince
|| - SADTU