29 November 2010
The South African Democratic Teachers Union (SADTU) has expressed shock at the news of four learners from the Christiana School for The Blind in the North West who died tragically when their room in the schools hostel caught fire in the early hours of this morning.
Three of the boys were blind and one was partially sighted. They were aged between 8 and 12.
As we express our deepest condolences to the families of the learners, we urge the department of education in the province and the police services to leave no stone unturned when investigating the matter as we are left with many unanswered questions.
We have learned that the school security and hostel matron last did the rounds at about 4am and there was nothing. The door to the boys room was locked and the schools electricity was not affected.
We further appeal to the police to investigate unconfirmed reports of sodomy in the school allegedly by older boys. The boys who died were allegedly kept in one room to avoid being sodomised by the older boys.
Issued by: SADTU North West Province